Foot Care for Diabetics
Foot care is SO important for diabetics!
- Check feet for blisters, sores, cuts, swollen areas, or infections. Use a mirror if necessary.
- Wash feet with warm water and mild soap. Dry them completely and sprinkle powder between toes.
- Moisturize tops and bottoms of feet with lotion or petroleum jelly.
- Smooth rough calluses with a pumice stone.
- Check shoes and socks for foreign objects before putting them on.
- Trim toenails, cutting or filing them straight across or following the natural curve of the toe.
- Have feet examined by podiatrist or primary health-care provider.
- Soak feet.
- Get moisturizer between toes.
- Cut the corners of toenails.
- Go barefoot.
- Let feet get too hot or too cold.